Thursday, April 23, 2009

Tomatoes, Tomatoes, Tomatoes, and Other good Stuff

Well I've finished planting Beefsteaks, Yellow Pear, Stupice, and Roma Tomatoes. Added more peas, and dug my trenches for my Potatoes, Yukon Golds, Pontiac Reds and Russets. This weekend we'll also plant Scarlet Nantes Carrots, Romaine Lettuce, Oak Leaf Lettuce, maybe some Escarole.

When Planting potatoes I dig large deep trenches (about 4"-6" deep), plant the seed potatoes, cover with about 2"inches of soil. Once they grow to about 6' inches in height I cover with about 2 more inches of soil. I continue to mound soil around them until the rows are approximately 4" high. This allows for a higher yield. When the leaves start to brown I discontinue watering so that the skin will dry and get thicker. Weeks later it's harvest time. You know I should pick up some fingerlings they are always fun to cook.

No comments:

Post a Comment