Tuesday, March 24, 2009

First Planting and Fertilization



This past Saturday I planted broccoli and Brussel Sprouts, and added lots of cow manure and compost to my garden area. My compost pile is now depleted.
I chose this weekend to take advantage of the snow we received on Sunday.
Also did some soil tests. Our ph is between 6 and 7 which is perfect, but I need more organic material and nutrients.
I like Dr. Earth and use it only in the plant holes and in the rows. It contains natural micorrhizae for the soil.
Also picked up some 50+ year old blocks from an old cement plant that were used for a kiln. I plan to recycle them as stepping stones near the garden.

1 comment:

  1. I have just recently become aware of how stepping stones help not to compact the soil. I will stay posted to see how you deal with your cabbage worms! They drive me crazy!

    ReplyDelete