Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Sowing Plans


I plan on sowing my first seed next week, indoors. Will return on Monday from San Diego and hopefully start that afternoon.
It may seem late for some folks, but our last frost date here is June 15th! That is very late, but not for 4000ft. I do have some gardening friends only 10 miles away in Golden Hills and they tell me they sow outdoors a full month earlier. They are on a southeast facing slope and I am at the base of a northwest facing alluvial fan, so they get more and earlier sun than us.
First seeds to sow will be:
Celery, broccoli and kale, some cool weather lettuces and maybe escarole. We already have some lettuce coming up in the garden, seed from last year. I thought it would be much too cold, in the 20s many nights, but looks healthy. It also looks like endive but is still a bit small to be sure.
I want to start tomatoes although it is weeks early, but it is hard to resist getting started!
I need the discipline.
I will be adding chicken manure and compost to the garden by April 1st. Need to test the soil to verify the other nutrient needs.

1 comment:

  1. Nick,
    I love your pictures. What a great spread you have! It sounds like you are feeding your soil so it will feed you. I look forward to watching how your garden grows. The blog is a great idea. And...I can certainly understand your impatience at getting going...it seems once we know it is spring, we want to get our hands in the dirt. :-)

    ReplyDelete